Brief History Of St. Stephen’s With St. Paul’s Church.
St Stephen’s, on Bobbers Mill Road in Hyson Green, Nottingham, was the successor church to St Stephen’s, Bunkers Hill. It was consecrated by the Bishop of Southwell on Ascension Day 1898.
The church was built to serve a working class community which grew up in northern Hyson Green during the 1880s and 1890s, while St Paul’s, Hyson Green served the southern part of the area. Hyson Green was extensively redeveloped in the 1970s and 1980s. and with the development of low density housing, the two parishes declined in numbers.
In 1987 they were amalgamated as the joint parish of Hyson Green St Paul’s and St Stephen’s, Nottingham. St Paul’s closed in 1994, when the two congregations joined forces. St Stephen’s has not been greatly altered either inside or out since it was built to designs by WD Caröe.
However, the surrounding site has been altered out of all recognition. The parish room, which stood for nearly one hundred years, the vicarage (more than sixty years), and garden allotments, were replaced in the 1980s and 1990s by a community building, The Vine, and a housing scheme.
Taken from Southwell and Nottingham Church History page.